6/22/2013

Fulfilling and fulfilled.

My new calling at church is to be in charge of all the humanitarian projects that we do. This week it was our turn to feed about 30 homeless men at another church in our community. We bring the food for their dinner and provide supplies for their lunches the next day.
I passed around the sign-up sheets and filled all the spots that were required, I made calls, sent email reminders, gathered the food from other members of our ward, and delivered everything last night.
The minute I pulled in to the parking lot I knew that my heart hadn't been in the task of helping these men. I had treated this as another item on my busy calendar and not as serving others as my Heavenly Father would want me to do.
I had spent the morning with my sweet kids picking beautiful strawberries and then picked up some fresh from the farm cherries. I could have taken just a few more minutes and prepared some extras for these men. I could have made a homemade dessert instead of getting candy bars from the grocery store. The I could have done a lot of things differently, but most importantly I could have viewed this task as God would have wanted me to; as the line to one of my favorite hymns says
 
Put your shoulder to the wheel; push along,
Do your duty with a heart full of song,
We all have work; let no one shirk.
Put your shoulder to the wheel.
 
I did not do this job with a heart full of song, or with any heart at all. I am sorry that I missed this opportunity to be fulfilled while fulfilling my calling and my duty to serve others. I won't let this mistake pass me by without making changes in my life to be able to feel God's love more in my life.
I will not let being busy be an excuse for anything anymore.
 
 

No comments: